Effective as of July 1, 2012, New York State’s Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) seeks to provide school students with a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment, and bullying.
It is the goal of New Lebanon CSD to create school environments which recognize and promote tolerance, respect for others and civility toward people of all kinds. New Lebanon CSD’s Code of Conduct also prohibits discrimination and harassment of students by other students, employees, or others on school property or at school functions.
Students are expected to report incidents of discrimination, harassment and bullying to a teacher, principal or other staff member. New Lebanon CSD staff members are required to report incidents – whether directly observed or reported to them by others – to the principal. New Lebanon CSD principals have been designated “ Dignity Act Coordinator” for their building or program. Parents and students also may contact their Coordinator to report incidents (see below).
Harassment and discrimination can take many forms. It may take the form of bullying, taunting or intimidation, and may or may not include physical contact. It generally is based upon the targeted student’s actual or perceived race, color, weight, national origin, religion, disability, gender or sexual orientation, or the student’s associations with others. It may be:
- Verbal — Name-calling, teasing, inappropriate sexual comments, taunting, threatening to cause harm.
- Social — Spreading rumors about someone, excluding others on purpose, telling other children not to be friends with someone, embarrassing someone in public.
- Physical — Hitting, punching, shoving, kicking, pinching, spitting, tripping, pushing, taking or breaking someone’s things, making mean or rude hand gestures.
- NYSED.gov – The Dignity Act Dignity Act Brochure
- New York State Center for School Safety – Dignity Act Fact Sheet
New Lebanon CSD Dignity Act Coordinators
Coordinators (listed below) provide the State Education Department with an annual summary of all material incidents of discrimination and/or harassment which occur on school property (including on a school bus) or at a school function.
Walter B. Howard Elementary
Jr/Sr High School