This winter, New Lebanon Jr/Sr High school is providing students in grades 7-12 with educational performances about healthy relationships and dating violence. These are highly interactive programs sponsored by Deana’s Educational Theatre.
Students in grades 7-9 will be participating in an assembly performance called Remote Control. The hour-long performance will explore issues, attitudes, and beliefs about dating relationships, and incorporates skill-building exercises designed to encourage healthy decision-making.
Remote Control helps students:
– Identify and understand the early warning signs of abusive relationship
– Understand the prevalence of violent relationships, why victims stay in relationships, and why it is hard to break up
– Learn how to help a friend who is a victim of abuse
Students in grades 10-12 will be participating in a theatrical performance called The Yellow Dress. The hour-long performance is a dramatic one-woman play based on the stories of young women who were victims of dating violence. The carefully constructed program stimulates thought-provoking discussion about relationships. Audiences are clearly moved by the story of a young woman who warmly tells us of her relationship that begins as young love, full of passion and promise — and ends in tragedy.
The Yellow Dress helps students:
– Recognize the early warning signs of abuse
– Learn how to help friends and family members who are victims or perpetrators of abuse
– Understand the cycle of abuse
– Access and utilize community resources
Please feel free to visit Deana’s Educational Theatre at http://www.deanaseducationaltheater.org for more information.