The New Lebanon Central School District would like to share some basic information regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). We are closely monitoring the situation and following guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH), the Columbia County Department of Health and the NYS Education Department (NYSED). Find useful state and county contact information, including the COVID-19 hotline, on this flyer.
According to the CDC, symptoms of the virus most commonly include fever with cough, and shortness of breath. Some people may have fewer or no symptoms at all. The virus is likely spread from cough and sneeze droplets or close contact with an infected individual.
The New York State Department of Health also recommends the following ways to minimize the spread of all respiratory viruses, including COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Stay home when you or your child are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. lf you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- When to keep your child home from school (Healthychildren.org)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource (NASP)
- How to Talk to Kids About Coronavirus (New York Times)
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus (NPR)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu (John Hopkins Medicine)
- CDC says schools should prepare for Coronavirus (NYSSBA)
This page will be updated as new resources are made available.